
Early on September 26th, my Granny passed away. She was one of the most important women in my life and I don't think I will ever recover from losing her. The only comfort I have is that she is no longer in pain and she is in a better place. It makes me happy to know she is back with Papa now (even though I am incredibly stingy and want them both here with the rest of us).
What I miss most is hearing her say "Hey Jamie Jamie". She said it every time I visited or called - every single time since forever.
My Granny wasn't your average Granny and I loved her for it. She was hilarious and sarcastic and may have helped invent the sport of people-watching. She spoke her mind - and didn't care who it offended. There was never a dull moment when she was around. Just sitting at her kitchen table was fun ... My great-aunt Bonita said it best during her funeral when she said there was always laughter when Granny was around.
And she was such a strong woman. She raised six children and buried two before her. I remember being terrified when we lost Papa that would we lose her too, from her grief - she married him when she was just 17 and had lost a daughter less than a year before. I mentioned that to my mom and her response was "Oh no, not Ruby Jean", and she was right.
I wish I had more time with her, I wish my children had more time with her - that they would have wonderful memories of her like I do but it just wasn't meant to be. I miss her so much......
No comments:
Post a Comment